Monday, March 16, 2009

In Bruges (2008)

In Bruges is a film that will be reverberating within your head long after you finish it. It is the first movie I have seen in a long time that successfully combines a number of different genres into one exceptional work. Centered on the exploits of two hitmen hiding away in Bruges, Belgium, the film slowly builds up an intense story of murder, revenge, and redemption. Ray (Colin Farrell) and Ken (Brendan Gleeson) are the two hitmen, on the lamb from a botched murder attempt in the medieval Bruges. Director Martin McDonagh infuses the beauty of Bruges into every possible scene, which comes to reflect the double-sided beauty of so many things in the film.

One thing that struck me as an important part of the film's message was the beauty and morality of Bruges and it's inhabitants which was often skin-deep. The lovely picturesque Bruges ensares the eye of any visitor, yet is infamous for the child abuse rampant in it's streets. The beautiful young woman who steals and sells drugs to townspeople. The boss of an organized crime operation specializing in murder that refuses to harm women or children. And last but certainly not least, the two hitmen that each possess a hidden morality. Each one of these situations exemplifies the saying "beauty is only skin deep" because even the most beautiful characters in the story (including the city of Bruges itself) are morally corrupt, while every murderer in the story posesses a certain honor and regret for lives lost. A big part of the movie is a discussion between Ray and Ken, who speak about Heaven and Hell, and what happens after death. *SPOILER* The last thing Ray sees before (dying?) is the beautiful tower in Bruges, and he says:

"Because at least in prison and at least in death, you know, I wouldn't be in f***in' Bruges. But then, like a flash, it came to me. And I realized, f*** man, maybe that's what hell is: the entire rest of eternity spent in f***in' Bruges. And I really really hoped I wouldn't die. I really really hoped I wouldn't die."


This just shows how the most beautiful place in the world, a "fairytale" city could also be the most hellish place on earth. McDonagh delivered his message beautifully in that there is a world of good and bad in the least likely of places, if one just cared to look beneath the surface.

I strongly urge you all to see this movie if you seek to be entertained, but even more if you wish to have your brain stimulated and your thoughts provoked.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful review, much like the city of Bruges, Benny. I'm glad you saw, I loved it as well. And I hope that more people are able to see it. It was a very good, intertwined, multi-genre movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard so many good films about this film, that I really ought to see it. I think this analysis has really put me over the top Benny, and I may thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, it was a really good movie and I appreciate the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said Benny. I'm glad we finally agree on a movie for once haha. I thought your analysis was spot on, and very beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos Benny finally a film that you, nick, I actually agree on. It was intriguing and humorous, something we should study more in this class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the review and I also liked the movie very much.

    ReplyDelete